Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Birthday Countertop and Laundry Room Dreams!

My birthday fell on vacation as you know from my previous entry. So I won't go into all the happenings again with you on how my day was because you already know it was nice and relaxing. But I wanted to show off my birthday gift that Rob so thoughtfully came up with on his own accord to make just for me!

My laundry room is in the basement and it's nothing special. It is also the only room in our home we didn't paint when we moved in. The color isn't bad but it wouldn't have been my first choice. The room as it was when we moved in was very functional so we just left it as is. Which for the past four plus years has been plenty good for my laundry needs. I do have dreams for this room but there is no real big rush to make it my own until we decide it's time to finish our basement. So when Rob told me he was coming home from the Home Depo just before we left for Lake Missaukee with all the supplies he needed to build me a countertop for my laundry room I was a little surprised. I didn't even realize I would like a countertop but when he told me one was on the way I was delighted by the idea. What a thoughtful gift. There is nothing better than knowing your husband has been thinking about you so he could treat you to something nice on his behalf! So thanks babe!!! As my laundry piles grow it will be nice to have some surface space for storage, sorting, and folding.

Here is what my laundry room looked like pre-countertop. Now again remember I said it was nothing special so don't judge this room in my home and turn me into TLC's Clean House with Niesy Nash or any other HGTV shows like Design on a Dime, Design Star, or Small Space Big Style. Trust that in time we will put some "TLC" of our own into this space. I promise!


Our washer, dryer, and soap holder...


Our ironing board and some clutter... If you are wondering why the soap isn't in the cupboard it's because the cupboard is full of jugs of stain remover, hunting scent blocker, and spray starch.


My old rickety laundry caddy from Bed Bath & Beyond...


Here's Rob building my Birthday countertop... He tried to tell me this was not photo worthy but I beg to differ! In fact, I wish I had more pictures of the whole process.


The finished product! I look forward to getting a lot of use of this countertop space. I also love that the countertop is secured to the wall so that my ironing board can remain up but out of the way. Thanks again Rob this was a great idea!


Here is the counter up close. I like the overall sandy color and the random blue flecks throughout its surface.

Future Laundry Room Dreams...


I'm kidding... but WOW! Wouldn't this be an ultra fabulous wash room? If this space existed in my home, I would dare say I would love to do laundry every day! But since this room will NEVER exist in my home I might as well just keep on dreaming.

On a more serious note, I'm thinking that in the future either a nice robin egg blue paint color or a soft butterscotch would be the perfect wall color for my wash room. Then maybe some orange or bight pink accent pieces which would coordinate with our brand new rug and bath towels I have been saving since my wedding showers from Crate & Barrel! Here are the towels and rug so you can dream along with me.



I also really like Upper Case Living Wall Decore'. If you are not familiar with their line you should check them out sometime on line. I would like to put something on the wall like the example below.


"The LAUNDRY ROOM Loads of Fun" is such a nice and fun decorating touch.

Rob also mentioned he would like to install a long stainless steel bar for hanging clothes on so we could get rid of my current Bed Bath & Beyond caddy. I really like built-in cabinets and shelves for organization. Here's one laundry room example I found that I really think could work in our space.


This was my favorite because it seems like something Rob could build... Hint-Hint. I actually like everything about this room from the color, to the floors, and rug, to the coat rack! It's perfect and I could really see this in my future. Who knows what my next birthday could bring!

I also really like the idea of having a deep sink in my laundry room for soaking stains out of clothes or using it to rinse out some of Rob's extra grimy clothes before washing them. In the layout of our basement having the bathroom designed to be right next to the laundry room I think a sink could be a future possibility.

I thought this was a cute little sink area and something like this might be possible in our future laundry room on a smaller scale.



Last but not least I really like some of the storage baskets that Pottery Barn has to offer. I think it is a nice touch on open shelving and can really personalize your space. The Newport Collection is my favorite because the baskets come in a variety of sizes and they look durable and attractive. The natural jute would work nicely to soften some of my bright colors.


Well it's been really fun sharing my laundry room past, present, and future with you. In fact, it was so much fun I might just have to dream up the rest of the basement!

2 comments:

  1. The new counter is really nice and I love your photos of future possibilities! I'm busy dreaming up ideas for my laundry room these days too. Unfortunately, mine has to double as an entry/mud room as well. I'm trying to figure out a solution for where to put all the shoes as well as create a sort of family bulletin board "nerve center" so we can keep track of what's going on. I'm hoping to get it all organized before I have to go back to work, but it's been a sloooow work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann, I found a few ideas online @
    www.home-design.com and then also smartlaundry.com

    It's fun dreaming up ideas and not so fun thinking about the price tag that comes along with the dream. I like some of the enrtyway cabinets and bulletin bords PotteryBarn has offer but they are very expensive. Good luck coming up with ideas for your laundry/entry way. If it isn't complete before you have to return to work remember... "Rome wasn't built in a day!"

    ReplyDelete