Friday, September 3, 2010

Cafe' Kolkman kicks off Labor Day Weekend

Happy Labor Day Weekend 2010!

Rob and I decided to go our separate ways for the weekend. The littlest lady and I have decided to stay home while he is off to "the cabin" for the weekend. Having just made it through the business of packing and un-packing from vacation the thought of doing it again doesn't appeal to me at all. Not to mention my house is suffering from cobwebs, fingerprints, and other grim that need some attention. So it looks like Ava and I will be enjoying some good old fashion mother-daughter bonding, a bit of cleaning, and other miscellaneous projects around the house.

Rob didn't seem to mind my staying home this holiday weekend because he has plenty of his own projects to do up north to gear up for hunting and the winter months. He is hosting some friends this weekend which he always enjoys, building a hunting blind, chopping wood, and cutting the lawn if it doesn't rain all weekend. My projects for the weekend, beyond entertaining Ava and sprucing up Home Sweet Kolkman, include a little bit of cooking and baking, working on Ava's digital photo albums, and starting Elise's 3rd memorial projects. I can't believe it's already that time in the year. It isn't anything over the top exciting but it is enough to keep us more than busy over the next few days. I guess that's why it's called "Labor Day Weekend."

Before Rob left for the weekend we did enjoy a little lunch together while Ava was napping. I must say it was quite nice having a meal together in peace where we were both sitting down at the same time eating a hot meal. It's something that doesn't happen that often anymore. I'm not complaining... I'm just stating the facts. I have been eyeing a recipe in the latest Kraft magazine that arrived last week. I like this magazine because it has some good ideas for quick and easy meals that usually require very little talent to make. I am a bit remedial in the kitchen so quick and easy is where my comfort zone is and I'm afraid it's where I'm going to stay unless someone has a cooking intervention with me. Rob is the head cook here and not only is he good at it... he seems to enjoy it.

Today was Rob's lucky day! I was home catching up on laundry and bills and decided to treat Rob to lunch before he was north bound. I think he appreciates my tiny cooking efforts when I get that wild cooking hair up my sleeve. At least it's what I tell myself. Sometimes I feel a little guilty I don't cook more often for him but then I remind myself I do other household tasks and why feel guilty over something that works?

Today's lunch was Cheesy Chicken Burritos. I had to take a picture of my creation next to the magazine photograph just to show you that my cooking skills are not completely archaic. I can still whip it up if I set my mind to it! Okay, you can stop laughing... I realize I didn't make Thanksgiving Dinner but all the same I was very happy with my cave-lady cooking skills.



This easy little recipe was very delicious and we would eat it again. In fact, so delicious I had round two for dinner. As a result I decided to start Cafe' Kolkman. Just little recipes to share with you that I dare to try out on my family and friends.  I also would like to (with his permission) post Rob's meal masterpieces. I must admit this idea is somewhat inspired by my sister-in-law, Ann. She has been sharing meal ideas on her blog from appetizers to desserts that have been tasty enough to be considered favorites in her household. So why not share some of our favorite bites here at Home Sweet Kolkman? Who knows we may end up trying each other's favorites. I might end up going all "Rachel Ray" cooking new dishes in my kitchen and develop skills I never knew were possible! For your sake I will only archive the one's that actually turn out and taste good! Well, that's if I can figure out how to start a food archive.

So with that I leave you with my first successful recipe @ Cafe' Kolkman!

Cheesy Chicken Burritos

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (6 oz.) Deli Fresh Grilled Chicken Breast Strips
4 Flour tortillas (10 inch)
1/4 cup Salsa
1/4 cup  Sour Cream
3/4 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
1  Tomato, chopped

Directions:
SPREAD chicken strips onto microwaveable plate and cover with waxed paper. MICROWAVE until warmed. SPRINKLE down centers of tortillas. TOP with remaining ingredients. FOLD in opposite sides of each tortilla, then ROLL up burrito-style. Enjoy!

Notes: This burrito wrap is pretty basic and really more of a guideline for your taste buds to follow. I decided to venture outside of the box and came up with my own twist. I used fajita style shells for our lunch because they are smaller and I wanted to make both the original version and my twist. In my version I used Honey BBQ Chicken Strips and Ranch as the burrito fillers along with the cheese and veggies. Rob and I liked them both well enough to give this recipe a thumbs up. So follow your taste buds and remember the sky's the limit!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin -

    Here's how to create a list of links to your recipes. When you are typing up a post, you will see a box at the bottom that says "labels." You can type in a food category there. Then under the design tab, you go to "add a gadget" and if you scroll down there is a gadget called "labels." If will create a list of all the labels you have on your posts. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read your blog about your family . I love to see how happy you are since your loss of your angel Elise . I know that Ava brings you much joy as I can see it in all of your faces . Wishing you and your husband and little Ava all the happiness in the world your family truly deserves it .

    ReplyDelete