Saturday, September 18, 2010

Homemade Baked Beans

What can I say? Baked Beans... the more you eat the more you toot! Since Rob is NOT a broccoli fan I decided to make something for him after Ava and I gobbled up our delicious green tree tops. I can't stake a claim on this being my own original recipe but it is definitely a family favorite and one we make very infrequently because not much in it is healthy. So this side dish is not for the faint of heart and should be consumed with serious caution! But beware, if you dare make and eat this greasy delight... you will never want to eat beans from a can again.

Homemade Baked Beans

ingredients:
2 onions
1lb bacon cut up
1 48 oz jar of Northern Beans
1 cup sugar

directions:
Cook bacon and onions in a deep frying pan. Don't drain the grease. Add beans (including the liquid in the jar) and sugar. Cook down for approx 20-25 mins until the beans are no longer soupy.

notes:
I use two medium sized sweet yellow onions. I cut the bacon with my kitchen sheers. You can put the beans in a crock pot (after they cook down) if need be to keep them warm if you are bringing this side to a family function or potluck.

Homemade Baked Beans


Onion & Bacon cooked down...



Adding the beans and the sugar...



The finished product... "Toot-Toot!"



This makes a good helping of beans... I ended up freezing some in 2 quart sized freezer bags to pull out at a later time. I would guess the recipe serves 6-10 people depending on what the menu is. I would double this if you are going to bring it to a potluck or serve it at a big family function. Remember... tasters BEWARE!


No comments:

Post a Comment