Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pumpkin Squares

After a successful "adventures in cooking" evening on Thursday I decided to whip up a batch of my favorite pumpkin recipe that same night to bring to a neighborhood cookout we were invited to on Friday. After a full day of work, taking care of Ava, and making Pesto... I am not sure where all of this cooking energy came from. But I just decided to run with it. I've had a huge hankering for Pumpkin Squares!

I usually make Pumpkin Squares around Thanksgiving but this year they have been calling to me with the change in weather. I usually have a can of pumpkin on hand in our pantry but I used it a while back making a muffin recipe that ended up turning out terrible and I never replaced the can. I had pumpkin on our grocery list to buy when Rob and I went to the store together on Wednesday night knowing we were out. Unfortunately, Family Fare was completely out. No problem I thought I would just stop by Meijer before picking Ava up from my mom's house when I got out of work Thursday. However, when I stopped there they were all out too. What are the odds of two large grocery stores being out of a simple can of pumpkin? I found a stock-boy and asked if there was a different location for pumpkin in the store like possibly a display or end-cap. Who knows where things are in Meijer anyways! The kid said that the pumpkin crop last year was bad so the whole harvest was affected. He said that if they get any it won't be until the middle of October! Boy was I sad about making gross Weight Watcher muffins earlier this year. After picking Ava up from my mom's I decided to stop by Save-a-Lot hoping to find a random can on their shelves. The verdict was no such luck. This pumpkin shortage is serious. What are we going to do in West Michigan for Thanksgiving with no pumpkin?

Long story short, I put out a pumpkin can alert on Facebook in hopes someone would loan me a can. Within minutes my neighbor Lori Hart came to the rescue. I didn't mention the shortage to her which was sneaky of me but I was desperate! So I owe her BIG... Thanks again Lori.

Enjoy this fall favorite!!! It's the only pumpkin recipe I LOVE...

Pumpkin Squares:

ingredients:
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking pwd
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt

directions:
Add the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients into another. Slowly mix together and beat until smooth. Pour the batter into (1) 9 X 13 pan or  (2) 8 X 8 pans. Bake @ 350 DEG for 15-20 minutes.







It even looks good before it's cooked!


Frosting:

ingredients:
3 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 cup pwd sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 stick of butter

directions:
Mix all the ingredients together and try to not lick the spoon while you wait for the squares to finish baking!


notes:
Frost the cake after it has cooled and store in the refrigerator. Cut into squares and ENJOY!


I wish it wasn't so dark in our house by the time I was done baking this dessert because these pictures just don't do it justice! Food photography is harder than it looks. Rob and I couldn't wait until Friday to have a taste so it's a good thing I used two 8 x 8 pans . Knowing about the pumpkin shortage there was no reason to share the whole dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment