Saturday, September 18, 2010

Velveeta Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Rice Skillet

I have been getting the Kraft magazine Food & Family for a few years now. I happened to be going through my kitchen cupboards recently and I found my stache of old Kraft magazines. I haven't cooked much over the past two years so I decided to look through these old issues to see if anything looked appealing enough to try out for Cafe' Kolkman. I came across this Velveeta recipe in the Fall 2009 issue that looked like it was not only easy to make but something Ava would like.  The ingredients are nothing special individually but put them together and "wa-lah" you have a family favorite. You just can't go wrong with Velveeta covered anything according to yours truly, Ava Elise and her Momma!

Velveeta Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Rice

ingredients:
1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
2 cups instant white rice, uncooked
1/2 lb (8oz) Velveeta Pasteurized Cheese Product cut into cubes
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed

directions:
Cook and stir chicken in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat for 5 mins or until done. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add rice, Velveeta, and broccoli. Then cover and remove from heat. Let it stand for approx 10 mins. Stir until the cheese is completely melted and the mixture is well blended.

notes:
I coated my pan with some olive oil before cooking the chicken. To quick-thaw frozen broccoli... microwave for about half the cooking time specified on the package. I also added a little bit of salt and pepper when I plated my portion. I think a dash of pepper for this dish is a must! Ava loves the broccoli and ended up eating most of the broccoli bites on my plate. So next time I make this meal I will add a bit more broccoli florrets. Here are some photos to show you the process...

All of the ingredients in the pan post boil...


Rob is not a broccoli fan so I decided to split the meal in half and freeze some for a future meal. This is a great way not to waste food and a enjoy a home cooked meal on a busy night when there is no time to cook. Or in our case, have favorite bites on hand for this upcoming hunting season when it's just Ava and I!



Ava shoveling it in...



Looks like Cafe' Kolkman scores another favorite dish... Yum-O-La!



We hope you will enjoy this skillet as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment