Monday, September 27, 2010

Walk to Remember 2009

The West Michigan "Walk to Remember" is an annual event located at Fallasburg Park in Lowell Michigan to honor the memory of beloved babies who died due to miscarriage, stillbirth, or early infant death. Rob and I look forward to this day each year not only to honor Elise, but to also surround ourselves with other parents who know the depths of our pain. I firmly believe the loss of your child is the greatest emotional suffering known to mankind. This event runs from 9am until 12p and there are refreshments, tables set up for donations, a memorial service, time to decorate a balloon to send to your baby(s), a walk over a bridge in the park, a balloon release, and fellowship. Although this turns out to be a very emotionally charged day for us we would never dream of missing this opportunity to celebrate Elise's life. Hand in hand we walk for the steps she will never take.



Walk to Remember October 7, 2009

This is the building in the park used for registration and fellowship pre-ceremony. Last year there was even a fire going to keep everyone toasty warm before the kick off. There are tons of picnic tables set up and refreshments available for families. This is a great place to meet people who share your journey through grief, talk about your baby, and share your story.


Last year I was asked to bring Elise's name blanket that was given to us by fellow bereaved parents. Rob and I donate a blanket each year to this program to give back to this cause in memory of Elise.


Memorial Tent set and ready. 


Rob and I pre-ceremony...


We are truly blessed to have such wonderful family and friends supporting us through our grief and taking time out from their own lives to remember Elise... They love and miss her too!


Rob and I holding our pink Elise balloons.


The walk over the bridge is so symbolic and emotional.


Each year I am reminded that I am not alone. It's inspiring to see so many faces of loss and hope!


Keep Holding On

"Together we stand
I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand
When it gets cold
And it feels like the end
There's no place to go
You know I won't give in
No I won't give in
Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through
Just stay strong"

Avril Lavigne

Elise, together we stand in your memory... We love and miss you more than words sweet baby!


Alison and I... Her friendship and understanding is one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.
Love and Tears for Annika & Elise!


Get ready to catch our balloons precious angel!


Posted in Loving Memory of Elise Renee Kolkman

No comments:

Post a Comment