Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chocolate Almond Coffee



Yum-O-La in a Cup!
(photo complements of Kraft Foods Website...)

For those of you who actually read this blog you will remember that although I haven't posted much this month I have kept my current events section updated and I have been BUSY! Busy getting ready for Elise's and my Dad's memorial and burning the candle at both ends as they say. Are you curious as to how I kept up my stamina? My secret weapon to the sleepies that's how... COFFEE! The light has clicked on as to why my own Mother drank so much coffee when I was little... it is a motherhood necessity and crucial to our survival!

I love coffee and all things coffee. Drinks, desserts, ice cream... the works. I have my usual coffee routine in the morning which is one cup of basic coffee with hazelnut fat free creamer. But what fun is that really? Sure it does the job and it keeps the calories to a minimum but what really has my taste buds watering is fancy coffee. I love treating myself to a Biggby or a Starbucks. I especially enjoy doing this with friends who share my love for this drink. This time of year I love the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks and the Teddy Bear from Biggby is just plain good all year long. If you haven't treated yourself to something lately go for it! You won't be disappointed...

Just before the Walk to Remember I came across this recipe on the Kraft Foods website. It looked delicious and worthy of receiving the at home fancy coffee stamp of approval. I gave it a whirl and it was sweet success! Totally worthy of making it into my favorite recipes at Home Sweet Kolkman. Unfortunately, it isn't low in the calories department so I've been forced to label it as a special occasions coffee treat only. Bummer I know. The morning I made this decadent treat Rob's Aunt Dawn and Uncle Keith came over at the "crack of dawn" (no pun intended) to watch Ava so we could attend the walk in honor of Elise. She just asked me for this recipe so I know it's a great "Cup of Joe"! So for Aunt Dawn whom I love dearly, I am posting this recipe. Enjoy!

Chocolate Almond Coffee

ingredients:
1/4 cup of your favorite ground Coffee
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2-1/2 cups cold water
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup thawed COOL WHIP or any Whipped Topping

directions:
PLACE coffee in the brew basket of your coffee maker. PLACE sugar and extract in your empty coffee pot. ADD cold water to coffee maker; BREW. MICROWAVE chocolate and half-and-half in medium microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 to 1-1/2 min. or until chocolate is completely melted when stirred, stirring after 1 min. ADD to coffee pot with finished brewed coffee. STIR until well blended. SERVE topped with whipped topping.

notes:
You could tone down some of the calories by using Land O Lakes Fat-Free Half & Half and Fat Free Whip topping. But it's best served fully loaded with cals! Life's to short of count them anyways, Right?

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Erin, some things just deserve the calories.
    This is wonderful and I can't wait to make it at home Saturday when I can just sit and relax and enjoy.
    I love you too! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete