Saturday, February 19, 2011

Blodgett: Old & New

I have been busy lately picking up extra hours at work and it has really been cutting into my free time. Trust me I use the term "free time" loosely since I had very little of it to begin with. Most working parents struggle to manage this balancing act between work, family, and play. Over the past couple of months I have come to understand that I am no different. It is such a tedious balancing act and at times very stressful. Lately, I have been out of balance which is really wearing me down. I just want to have a little time at the end of the day to read, exercise, cook, socialize, blog, work on Ava's albums, and play with my child... Is that too much to ask for? I'm starting to think I might need a life coach to help me find better ways to balance my act without burning the candle at both ends because I am truly spent.

I am not sure why I am blogging about work when lately I have had more than my fill. To be honest, it's not a bowl full of cherries there. As a whole, we are under some pretty big changes with the addition and renovation projects that seems to have everyone on edge and stress levels are high. We are coping with very little leadership at the moment which is somewhat of a disaster. It is very unsettling to me that the lack of leadership seems to have created this us against them, and worse yet, us against us! Co-workers are just plain at each other lately and it's hard to swallow. Still, I thought that you might be interested in taking a tour of Blodgett via my photos.

The new unit may not be 100% user friendly but it is beautiful and it has come a long way over the past two years. The transformation is approximately nine months out yet from completion so there will be more to share in the future. It is impossible to really capture such a large surgical unit in a couple of photos so I am sharing several photos and by several I mean a boat load. Recently, I worked a Sunday shift and we were slow for a change in the afternoon. I ended up walking around our entire suite taking approximately 100 or so photos of the old and the new. I had a hard time trying to capture our entire preoperative unit on film but I did cover the basics. Here is a quick view of Blodgett... past and present!

Old Charge Nurse's Desk



We are currently still using this Charge Nurse's Station until the renovation is complete.



Old Outer Hallway



Old Inner Core Hallway



Old O.R. 6 (My home away form home!)



O.R. 6 Nurse's Work Station



Old O.R. 4 (Our Weekend Room.)



Old O.R. 11 (Our Laparoscopic/Bariatric Room.)



Old High Density Shelving Room



Old Storage Room in our Center Core



Old P.A.C.U. & Current O.R. Supply Room



More of Old P.A.C.U. and Current Sterile Supplies



Old/Current Nurse's Lounge (I can't wait to see the re-model in 9 months!)



Old Building & Courtyard View



The Old meets the New



New Charge Nurse's Station



Another view of the Charge Nurse's Station



New Outer Hallway



Scrub Sink (One of 5 in the new wing.)



New Inner Core Hallway



New Patient Holding (It's a ghost town on the weekend.)



New P.A.C.U (This is one half of the recovery unit.)



Nurse's Station in P.A.C.U.



Second half of P.A.C.U.



New Dirty Utility Room



New Quiet Room/Lounge



New Building and Courtyard View



O.R. 9 (My new home away from home!)



Overall view of O.R. 9



Nurse's Station & Central Nervous System of O.R. 9



The Brains of O.R. 9



Anesthesia's Work Station in O.R. 9



Surgeon's Work Station in O.R. 9



Every time my alarm goes off I hear the song, "She works hard for the money!"


No comments:

Post a Comment