Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Smore' Cookies & More...

Rob and I spent a bit of time reading magazines in Barnes & Nobles before our movie started on our anniversary weekend date. I glanced through some cooking magazines and skimmed some magazines on closet organizing. I have so many dream ideas for our upstairs closet that we plan to convert to a toy closet someday soon in effort to reduce some of the clutter in our living room. If you've been to our home you will agree this is a definite YES on the needs list for Home Sweet Kolkman.

I would seriously love this to be a part of my life. Organized and user friendly! LOVE LOVE LOVE.


Once I tackle this project I would love to decorate Ava's "big girl" room which is currently our guest bedroom/office. I should probably fill you in on some recent Ava news. She started to climb out of her crib! A tell tail sign she is ready for a "big girl" bed whether or not we are ready. Here is a little story for you to enjoy about Ava... It made me laugh this past Saturday.

Me: "Ava, it's time for your nap."
Ava: "Okay momma."
Me: Let's read a couple books and I'll rock you. Then it's night-night."
Ava: "Yip."
A few books later and a little "Rock-a-Bye" Ava said: "Crib momma."
Me: "Okay, sweet dreams."
Ava: "I better not get out." (With a twinkle in her eyes...)
Me: "Right, you better not get out... It's nap time."

I went to the kitchen to clean up lunch and watch her on the video monitor. Rob and I have both been surprised by her wondering out of the nursery at nap time but we had not yet caught her in the act to see how she is climbing out. About ten minutes into her singing and farting around she moved her baby, Stella, to the corner of her crib.

Ava: "Sorry, Stella." Then she stepped on her baby giving herself some leverage. Leaning over the crib's corner she swung one leg over the side and then the other. Down she went. She then opened her door and came out to the kitchen to inform me she had gotten out.

Ava: "I got out momma!"
Me: "I see that... but it's still bedtime... sigh"

While I would love to keep her little forever... (Yes, I am that crazy mother who fears the day her child will be all grown up and out of the house.) I do worry about her really hurting herself and breaking a limb or worse climbing out of her crib. I'm trying hard not to get too far ahead of myself for now so it's baby steps here. The first baby step taken was letting Ava have a "big girl" bed. The crib we bought converts into a toddler bed so that's a no brainier and seemed simple enough. Rob took the face of the crib off on Monday in hopes that our "big girl" would love this change and that we could rest knowing she wasn't going to seriously hurt herself climbing out of her crib any more.

I love the look of her new "big girl" bed.


She did love her "new" bed. She had great fun getting in and out of it on her own and playing babies in there on Monday night. She had a busy evening tucking them all in and giving them pats to put them to sleep. All of the fun can to an end when it was time to go to sleep. I was a little surprised since it is still her room... still her bed (minus the front)... still her sheets... still her everything. But she pitched a fit and cried and carried on and on about not wanting to sleep in her bed. Then I thought to myself... Nothing about sleep with this child has been easy so there was no reason to think this would be easy either, Right?

So long story short... Rob rocked her for a long time while I made Tuesday's lunches. He tucked her in bed sound asleep. A few minutes later she was in the living room carrying on again about not sleeping in her bed. She begged Rob to let her sleep in our bed. Not wanting to make her bed an issue the first night in addition to the fact it was now 9:30pm we gave in and Rob tucked her into our bed. Out like a light. At 10:30p Rob moved her to her bed with no trouble. She was up and in our room at 3:45a asking for milk and cookies. "Sigh.... Kitchen is closed Ava.... It's bedtime." Rob took her to her room and rocked her some more and I fell back to sleep so I could function at work in the morning. When my alarm went off at 5:45a she was sleeping in the middle of our bed. Guessing it didn't go well. "Oh, Child.... why must sleep be such a challenge?" Last night was similar and we didn't force her to sleep in there again. She has a terrible cold, runny nose, cough, and keeps telling me her eyebrow hurts (headache maybe?). We are hoping that in time she will get the hang of  her "big girl" bed because she is not welcome in our bed for the rest of her life or she WILL be an only child!

Back to reading at Barnes & Nobles... I did come across a recipe in a Weight Watchers Magazine. I didn't want to buy the magazine so I took a quick photo of the ingredients with my camera phone. (Yes, I know that is wrong...). I just made them for the Super Bowl Party Rob and I went to on Sunday and they were delicious. I missed the cookie title so I am just calling them Smore' Cookies... Not bad for a diet cookie.


Smore' Cookies:

ingredients:
14oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
4 1/2 cups of low-fat graham crackers
1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
1/2 cups chopped walnuts

directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crush the grahams. Add the rest of the ingredients to the crushed graham crackers and stir. It is very thick so you will eventually need to use your hands to mix thourally. Use a 1/2 in scoop and form your cookies. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool them on a cooling rack.

notes:
I used 3 full sleeves of Graham Crackers and it was perfect. I used regular honey graham crackers not fat-free. I also used semi-sweet milk chocolate chips instead of dark. I added a few more chips & nuts... Why not? I figured out I made 40 cookies from one batch and they are 2.3 points a piece using the non fat-free version. If you eat them warm out of the oven they taste similar to a chocolate chip cookie. If you eat them at room temperature they taste like a Smore' hence the name. I have been enjoying putting them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up before eating them. They are extremely sticky in the mixing department but they are delicious and worth all the goo! Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment