Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sew Fun

I posted back in August that I received a Singer sewing machine from my mom for my birthday. I have been tinkering with it here and there figuring out the settings and just how it works in general. My best friend, Kris, also bought this same machine with money from her birthday and she asked me to take a sewing class with her. I was a little intimidated at the idea since she is a more experienced sewer than I am. In fact, most people are more experienced than I am since I have not made anything with my Singer. Kris has been super busy since August creating all sorts of items and they have been turning out really well. When I told her I didn't think I was ready to take a class she convinced me that experienced sewers do not take sewing classes. So I took her word and the plunge into sewing 101. The class was called, "Big Tote Theory," and I was bound and determined to make a tote if it killed me!

After singing up I was given a list of materials I would need to create this tote. So off to Fields Fabric I went to get coordinating fabrics, fusible fleece backing, thread, buttons, a magnetic snap, and an empty bolt of fabric. Once I had all the materials I was getting a little excited for the class even though I knew I had my work cut out for me. The day of the class my Bestie and I treated ourselves to Panera Bread for lunch which was a great way to kick off our afternoon. It was a perfect day away from my normal routine. We had "sew much fun sewing our hearts out." Yes, the pun is intended!!! I discovered that experienced sewers do take classes but that doesn't mean people like myself with no experience cannot create handmade beautiful items. I loved attending and spending time with Kris on this new hobby and adventure. I know we will be taking many more classes together.

Here are the early stages of my tote. All of the squares sewn together, fleece cut & ironed on, and then smock stitching to accent between the fabric squares to give it a quilted look.



Here is a look at the lining I picked out for the inside of the tote.



Here is an up close view of the smocked stitching that I love soooo much!



Here is a picture of the straps before and after I stitched 12 pink rows for extra detail.



I decided to make pockets for the inside of my tote in a different fabric from the liner.



Here is the finished project!



The flap closure has a magnetic snap and buttons to accent the colors.



Here is the back of my tote...



My straps are done in two fabrics which really adds a nice touch!



The inside is so pretty with the covered bolt and pocket details.



All in all, I am really proud of this tote. It took some seam ripping here and there with an occasional sigh of irritation due to my inexperience. BUT, it turned out and it is the first item I have ever sewn in my life! My mom was a little impressed which is a huge complement to me. I guess the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree as they say. I look forward to sharing more handmade items in the future by "e-designs" because I am lovin' my Singer!

No comments:

Post a Comment