Sunday, February 12, 2012

Goals for 2012



The list of things I would like to accomplish in 2012 seems to be never-ending but do-able all the same. Here are my top 10...

1.) Get my family photos in order. My printed family photos are in a giant creative memories box labeled inside of Meijer photo envelops. I also have five full SD cards that need to be transferred onto photo cds and deleted off of the cards. I would like them to be organized by events and years. I would like one for every year of Ava's life. I would like to create Snapfish style photo books of all of the year's highlights. I am about half way though Ava's 1st year of life. Terrible I know but since my photo box is not organized and I have no idea at this point where to start with five full SD cards this is a bigger task than you may think. I am in the process of transferring pictures off of my SD chips onto Meijer photo cds. Once this is done I will put them into online albums to be printed. My goal is to have this project done by early April and to keep up with it from there on out.

Finished Result... I can't wait to have organized photo cds and albums!


2.) Sew something for each member of my family and give it to them as a surprise throughout the year. I started out this year by making a rag quilt and new re-purposed peepers for Ava. I have several project ideas and I am currently working on something for Todd that should be finished by his birthday! I'd tell you my ideas for each family member but that would kill the surprise part since some of my readers are family. You will all have to wait and see how I did completing this goal by the end of the year. I hope my family members will love my creations sewn with love flaws and all!

Ava's Rag Quilt... It's still not finished because she hasn't parted ways with it long enough for me to snip all the squares. I will re-post it when it's completed.



 This is the last square and it's my favorite!



30 re-purposed peepers generated a happy kid... worth all the work!




3.) Read two books a month. I read more than usual last year and this year I hope to reach my very do-able goal. My top three books for last year were: The Help by Kathryn Stockett, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, and Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay. I would love to read more but time is a factor and it seems like there is never enough of it!

4.) Plan meas ahead of time and make something new each week. I have been doing this since January and it really helps having a game plan for the week. I have been busy making new meals off of Pinterest and just trying things by word of mouth. I have even been creative with leftovers to boot. I am not sure if it has been noticed yet by my family but I have noticed a little more ease in the coming up with meal ideas thanks to several on line food blogs. I will post some of my latest favorites.

5.) De-clutter. I have so many drawers that need to be organized. I have lots of ideas to re-vamp my drawers, cupboards, and closets! I have been cleaning something out each week. Somethings are small and some are bigger projects. I just came across my old college binders filled with lecture notes from my nursing classes. Ten years of holding onto them seems long enough... So, OUT they went!

6.) Maintain my weight loss from the fall. I lost a total of 15 pounds using MyFitnessPal just by tracking my intake and my exercise. It is easy enough and I am also using some Weight Watchers tricks. Rob just made a room in the basement for all of our exercise equipment so I have zero excuses not to keep up with my fitness goals. I hope to exercise three to four times a week. I would like to incorporate some more weights into my routine to tone up some of my trouble areas.

The Kolkman Fitness Room!



7. Get Ava's Big Girl Room in Order. The poor girl is turning three in April and she is still sleeping in the crib. I was sort of thinking that a new baby would eventually give her the boot but since we are still waiting for our third we may need to move her before a baby would ever arrive. I have several wishes and wants for her big girl room and I am logging some of them on Pinterest. I would like a storage bed first and foremost for her. She will be moving to the guest bedroom and with lack of wall space I think this is a must have. I would love to have a window seat with shelving for all of her toys and books. I can't wait to see this room come together. 

Storage Bed idea...



A fancy headboard...



 A custom wall built around her future big window complete with a reading nook and storage!



 If Rob builds her bed and this seating area I would love something like this cute dollhouse book shelf for some of her favorite things to go between the door and closet.



I would also love to find an old dresser like this one and paint it a fun color to match her bedding and give her room a finished look.



8.) Update some of our home decor'. I have had the vast majority of my home decor' for nine years. I am ready to switch some things up. I have put a lot of thought into some of the things I would like to change. I plan to start on new curtains for the living room and dining room. I am going to use the curtain fabric I have picked out as a template for updating the throws, pillows, and wall art. I am planning on removing the shelving in my hallway and just hanging picture frames to display our family members. I would like an area for Ava's art pieces. I would like to sell some of my current home decor' pieces like my giraffe and zebra statues, safari wall art, African nic-nacs, and my current zebra curtains and throw pillows to help pay for some of these ideas. I have several ideas and a lot of work to do before the end of the year!

Here is the fabric for my new curtains. I also used this fabric to make my niece a craft apron. I just really loved the colors and had to make something out of it for myself!



For my entryway, I would like to make a communication area like this one on the little wall that my refrigerator sits in.



I would like a play area for magnets and flashcards for Ava underneath the communication center similar to this example.



I'd like to organize my pantry like this one with cork-boards and more unfriendly shelves.




I'd like a family photo collage of frames like this one in my back hallway.



I'd like to do canvas photos like this over my staircase.



I'd like to make the wall area by Ava's craft table to display her art pieces.




9.) Make more time for date nights with Rob. I'm not sure if it is the stage of life we are in with little kids and not as much fun money but we definitely don't hang out one on one with each other like we used to do. It seems like we get caught up in trying to fit in work, hobbies, friends, and never ending kid and house duties that we haven't been doing much together. I think we need to dedicate time each week for the two of us to hang out like the old days. I know with kids it's harder to just take off and go go go but surely this is something that we can creatively work on. Maybe we need to budget our money to make sure we go out together once a month. Then carve out some time for fun things we can do together that doesn't include watching TV in the same room during the week. No regular TV, no texting friends and family, and no household duties being done... Just time to spend together either talking, playing board games, cards, exercising , or renting a movie. Anything is better than nothing!

10.) Take more time for myself. Seems easy enough right? Well it hasn't been happening that frequent. I really need to make time for me. I take on a lot of household duties. Like I clean everything, do all the dishes, do all the laundry, do all the bills and banking, do all of the shopping, and I cook over half of our meals. I also have Ava a lot on my own. Some-days I feel like a house slave and a walking napkin for Ava's sticky fingers. I just really need to treat myself more to life's simple pleasures to keep my own battery charged. I am going to 12 hour work days shortly and we will have more income than we have had in our budget. So, I am thinking once a month I could treat myself to something like a pedi-cure, manicure, massage, going alone anywhere like the mall to shop, Barnes & Nobles to read, or Starbucks for a coffee and blogging time. There are several sewing classes I'd like to take. I'd like to go out with friends for a lunch or dinner without kids. Maybe a massage at Douglas J. Aveada once in a blue moon. Or here is a crazy idea... A weekend away?!?!?!

Now that I am done making my top 10 list of goals and things I'd like to get done it seems like a lot. I will be sure to keep you posted on all of my progress in the year to come. I really need to get a move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment