Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy 6th Anniversary!

Rob and I celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary on Jan 7, 2011. We opted to celebrate by going to Ruth's Chris Steak House for a nice dinner. All I can say is... DELISH! Since we do not treat ourselves to time out alone nearly enough this was a real treat. We really enjoyed the experience from beginning to end and I could truly get used to a fancy meal more often than once a year!!! Just sayin'...

Since I know I have shared our story here before I am going to spare you the re-telling of it it from beginning to end. But... Fourteen total years together and six married years together seems to be both a blink and an eternity. We have had our ups and downs over the years but through it all we are still stuck in this relationship for the long haul. I am thankful to have Rob as my partner in crime and feel blessed knowing that we love each other wholeheartedly.

This is the first picture taken of us in May of 1998...  I know it dates us a little but it's one of my favorites and a good reminder of how new our love once was. Cute don't you think?

 

I think it's important to make time on these special nights to really remind each other how much we enjoy each others company and that we still have fun together. I'd like to thank Aunt Dawn and Uncle Keith for watching Ava so we could spend this night together out on the town carefree and childless! Since Ava did not want to come home with us I am guessing she had an excellent time with her favorites "Kee & Dee!"

After dropping Ava off we headed downtown and used valet parking. I know it seems simple enough but having someone park our truck just added a special touch that I was thankful for on a cold winter's night. We had a nice table and great service. The wait staff really knows how to make your night one to remember. We started with beer and wine as we looked the menu over. We ordered and chatted it up while enjoying our salad and bread. Then piping hot 500 degree plates came out with the best steak I have ever consumed. Yum-O-La! We split the sweet potato casserole and had to laugh when Rob told our waitress he could have eaten it over ice-cream and she said they do serve it a la mode. It had the best pecan crust ever!!! Then we enjoyed coffee and a espresso which helped kill the overstuffed feeling growing in our bellies. We decided to explore the dessert menu even though we were on the verge of unbuttoning our pants. We went with the cheese cake and while we waited our server brought us an anniversary dessert because we clearly hadn't already eaten enough! It was some sort of chocolate torte with fresh berries and a cream sauce. TO DIE FOR!!! I know we will not be back anytime soon but I am already looking forward to next time.

We headed back to Grandville and wandered through Cost-Co. We found a few deals and decided to call it a night and relieve Aunt Dawn and Uncle Keith from Ava. It was really a nice night out and although it may not seem like much it was just what we needed. On a side note though... I am going to make it a plan to budget an anniversary get-away for next year if possible. One of these years we really owe it to ourselves to take a winter trip for just the two of us. It's so easy to get lost in the day to day and in all the stuff we have to do that it's easy to forget to take time for each other. Sometimes it seems the sweetness and tenderness is lost in the shuffle of work and kids and balancing hobbies. In general, marriage is hard work and "we" owe it to each other to make time for each other and splurge more often on date nights both simple and extravagant. Just sayin'! Cheers to a lifetime of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment